Saturday, May 31, 2008

Trevor, he finally got a haircut!!

And a bit of an update. As you have been able to tell from the pictures previously, Trevor had a bit of a shaggy do goin' on. The boy just didn't want his hair cut. He preferred it "out of his eyes, please. But that's it!" So we did that for a little while. But after a while, I was getting kind of sick of his shagginess. Now, I don't mind him growing his hair long if he wanted, but I kind of would like him to have a style or something- short or long, whatever.. just DO something with it. So Ray and I showed him all these hairstyles and he liked a couple of them. Today Ray took him to get his hair cut!!! Yay! My little man came home a new man!

Before:

This is at the Robots exhibit at Port Discovery in Baltimore. That would be another post. I'm way behind.

AFTER!!!!

Forgive the washed out pic, I took it with our old camera because our new one and the Rebel were out of commission at the moment. But doesn't he look handsome?!


I really like his cut. It makes him look older.

And speaking of older, Trevor really has been growing up lately. OK, everything is still butts and farts (and, I think it is for other ADULTS I know, too. heh) but other things he has been doing are just different than he used to. He's walking to his friend's houses to knock on the doors (he does have to play by our house, though). Then today at the library he wanted to browse in a different section than the girls and I were in. Off he went to his section to browse. I'm just not used to him being independent like that. This is the child who cried practically his entire Kindergarten year every time I dropped him off for school.. not just crying, but absolute wails of protest that made me feel just awful. This is the kid who wouldn't go into any kind of child care or babysitting situation without being completely apprehensive about the whole thing. It's amazing what a little aging can do!

He's also been growing up in other ways. School wise, we are about done his Developmental Math book 4- adding and subtracting whole two digit numbers (like 10+50) with no carrying. Then I think we will take a break and let some of it rest for a while. He and I have been struggling with math lately and I think he is just sick of doing it. It's not the concept that is difficult, it's the word problems that end up being tricky for him. Since almost the entire book is word problems, he struggle daily. So we'll find other ways of doing math for now before picking up Book 5. He's whipping through the books, anyhow. I feel like we just started book 4. We're moving along with phonics but it's a tough call there. He is reading well, so much of the phonics curriculum is stuff he knows. And many words he knows, but he has learned it through a whole language approach, I think, rather than phonics. We've mainly been taking assessments in phonics with a lesson here and there. Caterpillars and various other things have been science, but we have been doing nothing in the way of formal lessons. We've done history here and there, too, through SOTW.

The reason Trevor went to another section of the library today was to pick up his first chapter book! Trevor has been DYING to read these Star Wars series of books. I figured it would give him a good incentive to read, so I refused to (suffer myself to) read them aloud to him and assured him that if he practiced reading, he would be able to check them out soon. He figured he was a good enough reader to get one today! Now.. wow.. all those crazy Star Wars names.. he is not whipping through the book by any means. But he is sticking with this and READING A CHAPTER BOOK! Go my little man!

Also, on another unrelated "Go little man" note.. he had been saving his money for MONTHS to buy a lego set. Specifically, he wanted an Indiana Jones one that was 30 dollars. He got his allowance saved and we went to get it from Target- he gets 3 dollars a week so it has taken him a few months to get enough money. I will say Trevor rocks at saving money when he is saving up for something he wants. But they were sold out. He opted to buy a Mars Mission set (this one) and then spent the next 4 hours putting it together. He stopped long enough to eat dinner and then went back to work on it. He has some amazing perseverance when he is interested. I wish I could get that from him on his math! He was so proud of himself when he was done and I was proud of him, too. He only needed help a couple times on a couple pieces, otherwise, he did the whole thing on his own.

Just an update on Trevor stuff!

1 comments:

Deborah said...

Go Trevor, your haircut is cool and Star Wars books rock!!! And phonics only works for Star Wars names, heh(just an opinion)

Love Grandma R.