Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thanksgiving at school, Native Pride Dancers.

A lot has been going on these last few weeks. I find it difficult to get the Rome pictures posted because they are all on Ray's laptop. I will get those up as I can. For now, though, life has been happening.

Wednesday I let the kids miss a day of school so we could go into DC to see the Native Pride Dancers. I am still a member of my local homeschool group and a mom on there had bought a block of group tickets. It was 5 dollars a person for us to go. Too good of a deal to pass up, so we got tickets. Never let school interfere with your education, eh? Unfortunately, I couldn't take pictures of the people actually dancing. They were amazing. They were a group of Native Americans who travelled around demonstrating native dances and costumes. They talked a little about their beliefs and culture, did some really fun dancing, drumming and chanting. We thoroughly enjoyed the show. I have a couple pictures of before the show:


Eating at the insanely expensive cafe in the Kennedy Center. If I have been to the KC, it's been years. There were no prices on anything in the cafe! The lunch was fabulous, though.


Some flags hanging in the hallway.


My kids being kids. You can take the kids to the theatre, but you can't make them act like mini adults. heh. I realize I should have dressed them up more.


Zonked out in the car on the way home. Man, they sure passed out!

Friday we had the Thanksgiving lunch at school. It's a really cute event. The lunc times get staggered out so there is room for parents to come for lunch. I joined Rachael and Ray joined Trevor for his lunch. All I have are a couple Iphone pics. It was quite good, though! We walk into the cafeteria to find the tables all set for us (with plasticware, but still!). We all sit down and then the teachers and staff wait on all of us, serving us drinks and our cafeteria trays of turkey dinner. We had turkey and stuffing with gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans and pumpkin ice cream for dessert. It was all actually kind of good! It's always fun joining the kids for lunch and it was nice to have other parents to talk to this time, too.


Of course they eat their ice cream first. heh


Both kids enjoyed their lunch. It was a nice change from pizza day, which is normally what they eat one Friday and the one day I let them buy lunch at school (unless I am really pressed for time in the morning).

I also taught Grace Art in Trevor's class this week. We learned about Romare Bearden and then made collages like he did. The kids really got into it, but I sure could have used more time! We had an hour- and 45 minutes of that was working on the collage. Most of them finished and I was really impressed by how well they did. We had talked about how, in a collage, you find different parts to make a whole. So they didn't have to find a person and cut it out- they could find different heads, eyes, legs, etc and glue them all together to make a person. One person did just that, another cut out a big head with an open mouth smile and made it eating a smaller plate of food. Trevor made an building with heads all looking out the window and then some sort of abstract head pile on the ground. lol. It was a fun project that we all enjoyed. Definitely a mess to clean up!

In other random news, I have signed up for classes starting in January. I will be going back fulltime- taking French, Bio, an elective which I suspect is gym (?) and American Lit 1. I'm looking forward to doing school work again. We're also working out the timeline for buying and moving into our house, hopefully before xmas. Other random things happen weekly and we are really looking forward to spending Thanksgiving with my parents in NC, seeing the lights in Tanglewood and generally just hanging out.

0 comments: